Allostock is a name derived from “Lostock”, a Celtic name meaning “a place where there are piggeries” ! The original Lostock became “Auld” or “Old Allostock”, eventually becoming Allostock. The origins of the name suggest that despite being overlooked in the Doomsday survey the piggery was a flourishing concern before the Norman Conquest and possibly even during Roman times.
One of the earliest recorded references to “Alostocke” appears in the Leycester of Tabley papers of the early 13th century.
When the Saxons settled in Allostock possibly from as early as the 7th century they appear to have named part of today’s Allostock, “Bradshaw”, (“the broad wood” – from the Old English “brad” and “sc(e)aga”). The name survives today in the name of the brook, Bradshaw Brook Farm, Bradshaw Brook Methodist Church and Bradshaw House.
Pre-conquest Allostock contained a Scandinavian manor, Hulme Hall. The name derives from the same root as the common Scandinavian ending in “holm”, as in Stockholm
A township in Lower Peover chapelry of Great Budworth Parish, Northwich Hundred).
Includes the hamlets of Booths Bed, Boots Green, Bradshaw Brook, Drakelow and Sculshaw.
The population was 419 in 1801, 474 in 1851, 494 in 1901 and 564 in 1951.
Many thanks to Julia Wilson who provided much of the History section, and acknowledgements to the late Charles Bentley who resourced some of the local history and to Gordon Nisbett for much of the information on the history of Allostock School and the WI and others for local memories.